Did you know that Odessa is one of the largest historical centers among the cities of modern Ukraine? If not, then the guide to correct the situation, because in this article we have collected the top most beautiful buildings in Odessa.
A considerable number of buildings have been erected in more than two hundred years. All these buildings differ in shape, decoration, appearance, however, this does not prevent them from successfully combining and forming a general picture of the historic center of Odessa. In addition, some of them have the championship of the best not only in Ukraine but also in Europe. To be honest, almost all the buildings in the center of Odessa are historical monuments, but there are several unique buildings.
Count Tolstoy's palace was built according to the sketches of the architect Franz Boffo in 1830 and is located at - Sabanev Bridge, 4. Today the building is better known as the "House of Scientists". The building is made in the style of Russian classicism and, not surprisingly, much of the interior has been preserved in its original form. The architectural complex is formed by two buildings which directly belong to the Tolstoy estate and the art gallery.
The house with one wall was built in 1889 and its architects were Dmitry Klimov or Dmitry Telezhinsky. There is a rather strange at first glance, the building at Vorontsovsky Lane, 4. The fact is that the whole mystery of the house is an unusual triangular shape. If you look at the construction from the side, the illusion is created that there is no side wall near the house, and its total width is not more than a meter. Probably because of this building and was named "Witch's House". The question arises, why such a strange form? In fact, everything is very simple, during the construction of the house simply did not have enough money and to save on the back wall, the designers built two side. The building is made in the Renaissance style.
Odessa Opera House is the first theater in the city at the time of construction. If you look at history, the first building of the theater was opened in 1810, but unfortunately it did not survive due to a fire in 1873. The already modern theater was built in the style of the new Viennese Baroque, the interior of the hall was stylized under the architecture of the late French Rococo. The facade of the theater is decorated with a two-tiered portico with a quadriga of the muse of the tragedy of Melpomene and sculptures of Orpheus and Terpsichore, symbolizing opera and ballet. At the bottom near the entrance are two sculptural groups, allegorically representing comedy and tragedy. In the semicircular part of the building at the top there are busts of Pushkin, Griboyedov, Gogol and Glinka, representing poetry, drama, comedy and music. Many personalities visited the theater at one time, namely Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff conducted, Fedor Shalyapin, Solomiya Krushelnytska, Leonid Sobinov sang, Anna Pavlova and Isadora Duncan danced. The Odessa Theater is located at 1 Tchaikovsky Lane. It was designed by architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer.
The Philharmonic has survived to this day almost in its original form. For a long time, various architects could not determine in what style the building is made, but the main directions are still visible and it is the Renaissance and Italian Gothic. The Philharmonic appeared in Odessa in 1899 at the address Bunina, 15. The architect Alexander Bernardazzi, the author of the project Vikenty Prokhasky, sculptors Mark Molinari, Leopold Menzione, Boris Edwards worked on its creation.
Hotel Bristol was built on the site of the apartment house of merchant Naum Yakovlevich Yurovsky - hereditary honorary citizen of Odessa in 1899. Located at Pushkinskaya, 12. Architects Alexander Bernardazzi and Adolf Minkus. Revival style with baroque elements was used for decoration. The famous hotel hosted such notables as Theodore Dreiser, James Aldridge, Henri Barbusse, Vera Kholodna, Volodymyr Vysotsky and Damian the Poor.
Colonel Grigoriev’s house is a building with Gothic motifs, built in 1912 according to the sketches of the architect Grigory Dmitrienko. Amazing, looking at the building, are arrow-shaped tall windows of various widths, decorated with shamrocks. The institution became a very popular place where Babel, Bunin, Mayakovsky, Gumilev, Chaliapin, Utochkin, as well as Ilf and Petrov liked to spend time. It was in this building that the legendary Fanconi Café was located. House address: Langeronovskaya, 15
The passage was one of the first shopping centers in the Russian Empire and appeared in Odessa in 1889 at the corner of Deribasovskaya and Preobrazhenskaya streets. Moses Mendelevich came up with the idea to create such a trading place, because his goal was to bypass his competitors and surprise the townspeople. He did not spare money for his idea, and in part in the design of the Passage took: sculptors Lev Wlodek, Samuel Milman and Tovy Fischel. The passage is the building with the largest number of sculptures and stucco in the city. The main ones are the figure of the patron of Mercury's trade and two figures of Fortune.
So, as we see, Odessa has something to impress tourists. In this regard, we are pleased to announce the resumption of the interregional flight HUST - ODESSA. From June 19 there will be an opportunity to get from one corner of the country to another without any difficulties. More detailed information regarding the flight schedule is shown in the photo below. We hope the quarantine will end soon and we will all be able to plan vacation trips again without restrictions.
Take care of yourself and be healthy!